Tuesday, July 10, 2012

New Creations

This weekend I was so wanting eggplant! I stayed with my parents Saturday night and decided to make dinner there and take advantage of being creative in the kitchen. I really wanted to use eggplant as mentioned so I had seen a great recipe for an eggplant involtini which is sorta like a canoli shell made of the eggplant instead of pasta. The recipe I found was here... http://www.alexandracooks.com/2011/09/29/eggplant-involtini/

So, I made a couple of changes to lighten these up. Instead of full fat ricotta I used fat free and I omitted the cream and just used a canned tomato sauce. To bulk these up I also chopped a cup of mushrooms and lightly grilled them. I also added chopped parsley because I used parsley with my fish that I served with. It's important when you are cooking to stick with your herbs throughout the dishes to keep your theme and tastes the same otherwise they can clash and it may not be a great combo. Then I finished with light mozzarella cheese!

This morning I was wanting waffles (always) so I was looking through my recipes and came across a yummy Greek yogurt oatmeal waffle here...

http://edibleliving.blogspot.com/2012/03/motherhood-mondays-and-pancakes-parties.html?m=1

Of course I altered here is my version...

{Pancakes or Waffles}
1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 tablespoon pure clover honey
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 heaping teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup Greek yogurt
1cup dairy beverage I used coconut milk
1/2 cup egg substitute which =2 eggs
1 scoop protein powder

Whisk together flour, oats,baking powder, baking soda/bicarbonate of soda,salt and protein powder in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, dairy,honey and eggs. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and whisk in the wet ingredients until well incorporated. The batter should be thick if needed thin with dairy beverage.

Heat waffle iron or griddle for pancakes and cook like normal.

I stacked my waffles with fruit and even used a 1/2 tablespoon of nutella between the layers equals Ahhhhmazing!!

Enjoy and Mahalo!



No comments:

Post a Comment