Thursday, June 21, 2012

Chocolate (Protein) Fix

So, around the Pinterest pins I have been seeing these yummy Greek yogurt chocolate muffins. This weeks current obsession has been higher protein foods. Greek yogurt has always been a fave of mine but I keep trying to find yummy ways to sneak in more protein into my regular repertoire of deliciousness.

This is the muffin that I have been eyeing the last couple days. The recipe I used I also found on this site http://healthyisalwaysbetter.tumblr.com/post/6583755120/lessthan300kcal-triple-chocolate-chunk-muffin

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 c oats
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (or 1-1/2 Tbsp. vinegar)
  • 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 cup sugar substitute (like Splenda granular) OR 1/4 cup + 2 tbs stevia
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or use white chocolate or peanut butter chips!)
I cut this recipe in half because Lord knows I don't need all of those muffins laying around my kitchen. I also omitted the chocolate chips and replaced with 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut. I also didn't have applesauce so I used Gerber baby food pears. In my skinny baking I have found any fruit puree works just the same and doesn't really alter the flavor too much. 

My version of the yummy Greek yogurt muffin is more like a cupcake because lets face it who doesn't love cupcakes?! I also made it a little less in calories by not using the chocolate chips. I also put 3 banana slices a dollop of canned redi-whip and topped with a little toasted unsweetened coconut! YUM!  In the recipe builder on WW these came out to about 1pp per muffin (recipe yields 24 muffins I halved it so I had 12 standard size muffins).



Mahalo!








 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment