Thursday, May 31, 2012

Skinny Waffles

I am so very addicted to breakfast, I love it!!! When I was pregnant with both girls I was sick for most of the pregnancies but the one food that I could tolerate was breakfast. Cereal, oatmeal, pancakes and of course WAFFLES!! I love waffles, however I hate what waffles can do to my weight.

Enter my quest to make a great "Skinny Waffle." I have toyed around with a recipe for a while now and it has been a pretty stand up method. Being on WW for some time now has really opened up my eyes on getting the most for my points values. For 2 of these waffles comes out to 4 points. I LOAD them up with fresh seasonal fruit and sometimes may top with can light whipped cream(1pt). These keep me full and because they are so flavorful I don't use any other fat or syrup. For me its a decadent version of breakfast heaven.

"Dina's Skinny Waffles"

3/4 c. Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 c. Coconut milk or Almond Milk (I use fresh and easy unsweetened for either kind)
1/4 c. egg substitute or 2-3 egg whites to equal a 1/4 c.
1 T. Splenda
2 T. baking powder
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce (this replaces the fat, oil.I have found that you can also use any other unsweetened fruit puree that. I have used Penelope's Gerber baby food too and any combo just adds to the flavor. This morning I had a straw/apple/banana and that worked great!)
1/4 c. water to "thin" out mixture if needed

Combine ingredients to form batter. Pre-heat waffle iron before and get it ready.

This recipe yielded 6 waffles, in this Hamilton Beach 4-square waffle iron.

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment